These pumpkin chocolate chunk lactation bars are amazing. They taste just like a delicious bite of fall, with all the healthy ingredients new mommies need while breastfeeding. We talked about the nutritional benefits of pumpkin in our pumpkin pie lactation shake post.
Pumpkin is a seasonal ingredient that offers a big nutritional bang for your buck, and we highly recommend it for postpartum mamas. Feel free to eat all the pumpkin this season. And you can start with these lactation bars, which taste like pumpkin bread, with a sweeter twist and some chocolate chunks.
In fact, this recipe is very versatile, so you can make them into bars, bread, or muffins depending on what works best for you.
Pumpkin Chocolate Lactation Bars
- 1 cup Birch's Paleo Pancake Mix or Paleo Baking Flour
- 1 scoop Milk Dust Lactation Powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can Pumpkin puree (not pie)
- 3 Eggs
- 6 packets Stevia or sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1-3 tbsp milk of choice if needed
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks for topping
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside. Use a mixer to blend together wet ingredients including eggs, pumpkin, stevia and honey. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. You may need to add some extra milk to help mix, depending on the flour you use. This is a thicker dough, rather than batter that you have to spread over a greased baking 8×5 or square baking pan. Pour dough into greased pan and spread out evenly. Top with chocolate chips or chopped chocolate chunks. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until fork comes out clean. Makes 12-16 bars.
Remember, the “batter” is thicker on these. Here’s a photo that illustrates the thickness, so you know its okay to smooth it out into your pan.
Feel free to top with nuts, apple chunks, chocolate chips, or chocolate chunks like we did. It makes a big difference.
Bake, and keep an eye on the edges, as those cook faster. They taste fabulous both warm and cold the next day. You can eat them for breakfast or as dessert. Warm up with some honey or whipped cream on top, and a sprinkle of sea salt, and it won’t disappoint.
Better yet, this is LOW SUGAR! Yet it tastes so good and sweet. With all the benefits of Milk Dust, pumpkin and eggs, we promise this is a healthy dessert or breakfast to ease those sugar cravings!